Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A more diverse GOP

Hey Charles,

Did you happen to hear or read about Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty's remarks in Miami at the Republican Governors Association conference? If not, here's a synopsis. And here's one from the Times. I'd be curious to hear your take on what the governor had to say. Personally, I thought Pawlenty's sales pitch sounded pretty good--at least on the surface--and I give him credit for the shot at Sarah Palin ("'Drill baby, drill' by itself is not an energy policy"). Of course, you know the same people applauding that line we're applauding each and every time Palin uttered those words on the campaign trail. I'd also like to see the room's reaction to Pawlenty saying the party needed to move beyond Ronald Reagan. I guess we'll have to wait for the YouTube showing (just checked, not there yet). Seriously, though, can't you just see Rush and Hannity and Ingraham just cringing. But I suspect those folks aren't listening. If you can stomach it, just read what Rush had to say today. Nope, they're spouting the same old lines about liberals and the media. I would've liked to have heard Pawlenty go a step further and tell the Rushes of the world to stuff it, but you know that could never happen. Still, I think a Republican Party that moves in the direction that Pawlenty is prescribing would be good for the country, even if I remain unconvinced that its members care less about helping the underprivileged as they do about winning again.

Ryan

No comments: